- Why did he contract with a major publisher like Simon and Schuster? Milo's celebrity has skyrocketed over the last year. He had become a powerful brand name in his own right, to such an extent that long before his book was even written--let alone published--it was a bestseller on Amazon. Simon and Schuster had nothing to do with that.
The only reason to use a major publisher today is to take advantage of their promotional infrastructure and reach, but Simon and Schuster offered Milo nothing in this regard. Major publishing houses take huge commissions compared to independent publishers and they exert more editorial control than independent publishers to boot. Additionally, major publishers, who release tens of thousands of titles each year, have no problem walking away from one of their own authors, even those as lucrative as Milo.
If Milo had gone with someone like Castalia House, the manufactured outrage made about old comments that have been in the public domain for a year, wouldn't have been able to cascade out of control like this one has.
He was also cut from the CPAC lineup. Why even sign up for that moribund gathering? Take a page out of "daddy's" book and leave the cuckservatives hanging (yes, I know Trump is speaking this year, but as a negotiator he knows he holds all the cards this time around while he emphatically would not have if he'd showed up last year--Trump's a master at understanding these sorts of dynamics).
- When you're launching an assault onto hostile territory as the Alt Right and Alt Lite are, to go on the defensive is to concede the battle. He should've reframed immediately by pointing out that having sex with teenagers is normal in the MENA countries all these so-called refugees are pouring into the West from. They're not just making off-colored jokes about it, they're boinking 14 year-olds--boys and girls--every day. Their prophet married a girl when she was six and took her virginity when she was nine.
- The Cathedral votaries who are crucifying Milo are using pedophilia as a pretext for doing so. They have no problem with it. To the contrary, many of these sickos are participants. Playing with fire is a good way to get burned. The constant heckling of a flamboyant fag for his alleged pedophilia is going to prime the public in a way that may not redound to the benefit of powerful people like Chuck Schumer, the Clintons, or Jeffery Epstein's other co-travelers in the not-so-distant future.
- As previously noted, this is purely opportunistic, insincere outrage. These videos have been on youtube for a year. From CNN (my emphasis):
The professional provocateur has resigned as an editor at Breitbart News amid a firestorm over unearthed comments in which he seemed to endorse sex between "younger boys and older men."None of these people get exercised about pedophilia unless it is to pretend that pedophiles are no more likely to have relations with those of the same sex than normal people are. It was only when Milo got too big for his britches by humiliating a couple of black stooges in front of a national audience that they strung him up:
While Yiannopoulos has made a living off deliberately offensive statements, his comments on two recently discovered video clips proved too much, even for his friends and colleagues at Breitbart.
- This is another example of why punching to the right in an attempt to placate the left isn't just despicable, it's futile. Milo has repeatedly celebrated Richard Spencer being battered on camera. A lot of good that did him. Disavowing the few who aren't afraid of thunder means you're on your own when the storm clouds roll in.
- Homosexuality is deviancy:
What Milo is getting at here--that the issue isn't age per se but pubescence--is easily comprehensible in biological terms when heterosexuals are involved. The lust of a man for a female who is showing signs of fertility isn't pedophilia. Her age is irrelevant. That doesn't mean the lust is socially or culturally optimal--it's clearly not in the 21st century Western world, where life cycles are slower now than they were millennia ago--but biologically it's perfectly normal.
He does a poor job expressing as much because homosexuality isn't biologically normal, it's deviant. The strong demarcation between pre- and post-pubescence that exists as a subconscious indicator of sexual interest for heterosexuals is hazier for homosexuals. Because the sex is non-reproductive, it's not driven by indications of fertility. Consequently, gays and straights have trouble expressing their sexual proclivities to one another.
- Finally, I'm surprised he didn't try to play it off by attributing it to his Greek heritage. It wouldn't even be a purely rhetorical ploy--the types of relationships he is flirting with here characterize the most normalized variety of male-to-male relationships in ancient Greece. I suppose appearing to throw the heroic Greeks under the bus to save yourself wouldn't do much for his fan base.