Saturday, September 24, 2011

Homo nest invaded

In an interesting article on Obama's "evolving" position on same-sex marriage, Jack Cashill describes how the progressive left's feelings towards homosexuals has similarly evolved since the Stonewall Riots that putatively got the gay ball rolling. The New York Daily News, providing me with yet another example* of why it can be so much fun to revel in print media from the past before the vise of political correctness had become as suffocatingly tight as it is today, headlined the incident "Homo Nest Invaded, Queen Bees are Stinging Mad". The Village Voice called it the "Great Faggot Rebellion".

I have a hazy conception of the gay rights movement coming a couple of decades after the civil rights movement, sometime during the eighties as AIDS exploded onto the scene and provided homosexuals with the perfect vehicle to ride to Victimhood. People my grandparents' age do not show sufficient sensitivity to the concerns of either Negroes or sodomites. People my parents' age are better when it comes to blacks and Hispanics, but they don't take queers seriously enough. My generation treats African-Americans, Latinos, gays, and lesbians with more civility. Even we still have a long way to go though, of course!

So when did gay rights enter the American lexicon? Google's Ngram viewer gives some idea:


The phrase was almost non-existent until the late sixties (the Stonewall Riots occurred in 1969). It blew up in the mid-eighties before periodically cresting a decade later at the time the Defense of Marriage Act was enacted. After descending a bit, its ascent has resumed. With the legalization of same-sex marriage across much of the US a seeming inevitability sometime in the near future, the growth trend will likely continue.

* My dad, who is a professor of marketing, collects magazines and newspapers from 40s, 50s, and 60s. Flipping through them always brings a chuckle, albeit one tainted by melancholy. Aw, the way we was.

12 comments:

Ed Tom Kowalsky said...

Virtually every pathology and dysfunction in America can be traced to the late 60s. Surprise, surprise.

Ed Tom Kowalsky said...

I would also add that the current generation doesn't treat blacks and Mexicans civilly, it treats them obsequiously. This generation surrenders its money and its free speech to those two groups. Willfully or obliviously, I know not which.

I've also noticed that even many oldsters, cowed by the politically correct elite, and po' faced because of past "sins," now practically fawn over the two intractable minority groups.

The transmogrification of white spirit to white guilt seems boundless and inexorable.

Jokah Macpherson said...

I remember the rise in the period from 1990-1995 pretty well. Because I was rather naive and did not hit puberty until around '95, I didn't have much knowledge or curiosity about girls' bodies, and therefore didn't realize for a while that there was a difference between "homosexuality", which I saw mentioned a lot in the news, and "sexuality" in general. Because of this mistake, when my preteen self told my parents that sex was disgusting, I meant it emphatically.

Regarding generational filters, I also find it entertaining that the obsequiousness (good word choice!) of the attitude towards "blacks" among members of my extended family is inversely proportional to the percent of the population that is black where they live.

Anonymous said...

"I would also add that the current generation doesn't treat blacks and Mexicans civilly, it treats them obsequiously."

Well put, and I'd add that most women, esp. young women (young teens through early twenties primarily) treat gay males patronizingly while they thoroughly ignore lesbians w/in their midst. They mostly use gay male friends as surrogate priests, revealing all their sins to them, asking for their advice, reveling in the hyperdrama that both seem to like.

Treating people civilly is always a good thing, as long as they treat you that way as well.

Still, it's completely understandable that my nephew's wife and my niece, who at the time was pregnant (and, as a matter of fact, just gave birth yesterday), were quite happy that when they observed my great nephew among a batch of other young toddlers as they grabbed for toys, he went only for the trucks, not the dolls.

Anonymous said...

"sometime during the eighties as AIDS exploded onto the scene and provided homosexuals with the perfect vehicle to ride to Victimhood"
Well, it seems in this day and age straight white guys are not about to be outdone and are riding a different vehicle to even greater heights of blissful Victimhood. Isn't that what the HBD universe is all about?

Ed Tom Kowalsky said...

Anon,

I'm not sure what percentage of straight white guys are claiming victimhood, but I suspect it's rather small. That said, it is undeniable that so-called "affirmative" action discriminates flagrantly against whites and Asians. But that's really an aside. Most critics of the "HBD universe" are concerned with its broadly deleterious effects on American society rather than specific harm done to whites.

Anonymous said...

Whites are the victims of a policy of genocide. People who complain about whites noticing that fact are, of course, trying to silence resistance and further the genocide. Isn't that what the Liberal universe is all about?

Ed Tom Kowalsky said...

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do agree that anti-white racism (euphymistically termed "white guilt") is one of the most powerful wellsprings of New Leftism. However, if somebody can show me a concerted plot to extirpate whites from the planet, I'll give it consideration.

Audacious Epigone said...

I think the second anon was being a little tongue-in-cheek there, but the point is well received all the same!

Anonymous said...

White victimhood is a big industry in this country. Rush Limbaugh and company singlehandedly sustain a significant portion of GNP. Audacious Epigone, you've got a lot of nerve claiming that minority groups and gays in particular demand to be treated like victims. You and your ilk have defined the art. At least - after the AIDS crisis started - gay men got off their asses (so to speak) and started taking care of themselves without any help from anyone. That's more than I can say for the "I want my country back" screamers that dominate political debate in this country.

Ed Tom Kowalsky said...

Anon,

Liberals and Leftists invented victimology and it's therefore little surprise that minorities, gays, and women--the three most reliable liberal/Left demographics--are awash in victimology. Limbaugh and company are scarcely a drop in the bucket in comparison. And if you really think "the I want my country back screamers" dominate political debate in this country, then I suggest you check into the nearest mental health clinic, tout suite. Big media, education and Hollywood, the three pillars of our information society, are wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democtratic party.

Audacious Epigone said...

Anon,

What in the post, exactly, is it that you're disputing? Or are you just making the argument that those on the right are engaged in a bunch of special pleading? If it's the latter, be more specific, please.