Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Devon's doing less of it now, too

After this, I'm off the fecundity kick for awhile, promise. In the following graph, GSS respondents are broken up into five categories; Really Smarts (wordsum score of 9-10, comprising 13% of the population), Pretty Smarts (7-8, 26%), Normals (6, 22%), Pretty Dumbs (4-5, 27%), and Really Dumbs (0-3, 12%). The average number of children middle-aged adults in each category have are shown by year. To avoid English language fluency issues, only those born in the US are included:


No surprises. There is some expected year-to-year bouncing around due to randomness, but the societal patterns are clear: Those on the left side of the IQ spectrum have more children than those on the right side do, and everybody has been having fewer and fewer of them over the last four decades.

GSS variables used: WORDSUM(0-3)(4-5)(6)(7-8)(9-10), YEAR, BORN(1), AGE(36-62), CHILDS

7 comments:

Mark said...

Audacious,

Shoot me an email: I have some data that I think will interest you (I can't find your email on here).

Underachiever said...

Embryonic selection would solve the dysgenic problem very quickly.

Audacious Epigone said...

Mark,

I have it listed in my blogger profile now, sorry. It's crush41@iwon.com

Underachiever,

"Would", yes. "Will", also yes?

sykes.1 said...

Dear Audacious,

"crush41@iwon"???

Do Hulk Hogan and The Body Ventura know?

I sense a beat down coming.

Yours,

Bob

Audacious Epigone said...

Bob,

I'm not sure what you're referring to. A little help, if you would.

bbartlog said...

It looks almost as if human adaptation to the modern environment is starting to show. Those fertility numbers may start increasing again.

Underachiever said...

Audacious,

If any country offers it, I would go there to have kids. Furthermore, if one country does it (such as China), every other country would almost be forced to do it. I think it likely that this would spark a national debate at the very least

The resistance to this comes from both the blank-slate, anti-eugenicist left and the bible-thumping right who don't want scientists to play God.