Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pioneering Georgia school district not just another oppressive WASP operation

During a heartfelt discussion on a long walk with my dad right after the RNC, we got into Sarah Palin's branding. Not overly familiar with her at the time, I mostly threw up what I'd read at Half Sigma. My dad likes her for a variety of reasons, among them the image of the wilderness babe who kills her own food.

That's an attribute that has a generational appeal, or more appropriately, Palin as a babe has specific generational (and gender) appeal. Guys like my dad are taken by it, but I doubt she does much for guys my age. No doubt there's some degree of athleticism required to field dress a moose, but it's not the right kind of athleticism.

I digress. From the banter, my dad pointed me to an article from his Time subscription that included a feature on Palin. I found this first:
9 Georgia
Schools Earn an F
The Clayton County, Ga., school system became the first in the U.S. in almost 40 years to lose its accreditation, six months after a regional agency demanded that the Atlanta-area district reform its dysfunctional school board. Many colleges require a diploma from an accredited high school, leaving 50,000 Clayton County students in limbo unless the district turns itself around by next fall.
Surely the county is home to Stetson-wearing, bible-thumping bigoted white Evangelicals who believe dinosaurs roamed the earth 4,000 years ago!

Maybe that's the thought that comes to the minds of some leftists, but I'm sure frequenters of the Steveosphere are as incredulous as I would be in the face of that assertion. So, inspired by the Inductivist, I decided to take a look at the county's Census data. Since the accreditation loss was caused primarily by the school board (although it got in trouble in part over misrepresenting records on attendance), I decided to take a look there as well [I wrote this a week ago--since then, more board members have been removed]. Suffice it to say I wasn't surprised.

No comments: