Tuesday, February 05, 2008

If not already under fire as an epigone, I'd mentioning standing on some shoulders...


John Savage of BNWW paid your blathering blogger quite a compliment in awarding the same a chain ribbon of excellence. In turn, I must pass the buck and expand it by an order of magnitude. Okay, so eventually every person in the blogosphere might end up being tagged, but in the virtual stomping grounds that is my blogroll, the Lake Woebegone effect is real enough to merit the passing on of the award--that quickly becomes apparent if you start exploring them (Hibernia Girl has already been named and thus I understand I cannot name her; Mensa should post more!).
- Steve Sailer. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd just be unintentionally damning him with faint praise. The Republican Party's formula for future success, the real story behind the Barack Obama reinvention, the '04 myth regarding Hispanic voting trends, fatal undermining of Levitt's abortion-cut-crime theory, ad infinitum.

- Randall Parker. Calling him a copious reader is an understatement. He sifts through massive amounts of media output, distills it down to the essentials, adds pithy yet substantive commentary, and voila--gives you the highest per-word information output available.

- Al Fin. I'm not sure if he eats or sleeps, as he writes faster than I can read, touching on a range of topics. Most interesting from my perspective are his posts questioning the validity of CAGW. I'm not smart enough to absorb much of what he covers the first time through, but fortunately he has several recurring themes that allow the stuff to at least broach the crust of this thick skull of mine through repetition.

- Dennis Mangan. Every post is worth reading, and he spares unnecessary or repetitive verbiage in his commentary. You'd think I'd be able to pick up a little more on that, but alas...

- Fat Knowledge. He is a fountainhead of interesting facts that are great conversational items. His emphasis is often on how individuals can live more sustainable existences.

- NZ Conservative. He's a paleoconservative from New Zealand. I find his local/regional subjects especially edifying, as I'm particularly ignorant of the Kiwi socio-cultural fabric.

- John S Bolton. His grandiose writing style takes a little getting accustomed to, but rewarding in the philosophical issues alluded to therein. Also, he notices important stuff that might not otherwise be sniffed out.

- Agnostic. His online presence is what I'd picture my own as if my IQ were about 1 standard deviation higher than it is. I share many of his predilections (though not his tone deaf lack of appreciation for great 16-bit music). He's a math whiz, although most of his posts on the site referenced deal with observations as a natural scientist in his study of young homo sapiens.

- Ron Gurhame. I'd be attempting to replicate his discoveries of so much relevant demographic data via the GSS if not for him already doing so. Although it would fit the epigone label for me to poorly parrot what he comes up with, I've avoided the database since he covers it so well.

- Dave in Boca. His tongue is razor sharp with a wit to match, a bit more akin to Ann Coulter than I find optimal in my own megalomaniacal utopian world, but his personal experience as a Middle Eastern VIP is consistently illuminating.

- Ilkka. If I ever spent any time with him in person, he'd get sick of me inquiring as to what he thinks of [whatever is transpiring in front of us] that he'd probably head back to Finland.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

blogs are addictive.........


you can find out what smart people really think by reading them............


I found out I was not alone in my concerns for the country when I found the blogosphere.......

Dennis Mangan said...

AE: You're too kind. Thanks.

John S. Bolton said...

Thank you for the praise AE. I know it makes me want to look at the sites of your other honorees.

Audacious Epigone said...

It was a wake up call for me, that's for sure. I went from carrying a subtle haughtiness (backed up by little more than audacious ignorance) to being intellectually and thoughtfully humbled (backed up by a more-informed semi-ignorance). Dennis has a post that captures the sentiment I suspect you and I both share with him.

Fat Knowledge said...

AE, thanks for the props.

I have to say that when I open up my RSS reader, I am always glad when I see there is a new Audacious Epigone post to read.

I also admire how you respond to all comments with thoughtful replies.

Audacious Epigone said...

FK,

I appreciate when your commentary, as you usually bring up something I otherwise wouldn't think of.

nzconservative said...

Ae: much appreciated, it's a great morale booster to be mentioned in such impressive company when there aren't too many traditional/scientific conservative bloggers down under.