Thursday, June 28, 2007

Magic: The Gathering custom card sets

Using this neat card editor created by Twan van Laarhoven, I've indulged myself in coming up with a few old RPG-inspired custom card 'sets':

Final Fantasy IV (originally II)
Final Fantasy VI (originally III)
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Dragon Warrior (Quest) IV
Dragon Quest VIII

Parenthetically, I've had a recurrent pining to get back into Magic: The Gathering, but am not able to justify the time or money expenditures serious Type II playing entails. I'd like to get my foot back in the door via Booster Draft. However, I haven't seen much in the KC metro area that doesn't conflict with other personal happenings. If a reader from these parts is aware of a regular draft host, please let me know via email or in the comments.

9 comments:

MensaRefugee said...

So,
Is your avatar someone inspired from Earthbound or a similar game?

I always found it rather endearing.

Audacious Epigone said...

Heh, yeah, that's the official clay avatar of Ness. I'm so hopelessly neotenous, I know. Life's but a reclination for me :)

The Genius said...

Very nice. I always thought RPG's were great material for any kind of custom game material. I have my own blog for custom cards too.

Audacious Epigone said...

Genius,

Yeah, it's definitely something you can have some fun with. Do you think it would ruin it to spell out the reasoning behind the abilities? I suppose they should be apparent enough (ideally), but if readers haven't played the games in some time, it might be a helpful refresher on the attributes of the various games' characters.

Hallesy said...

Anyone know where to get symbols for your sets?

It's the only part of the card that looks bad.

Also does anyone know how to add custom symbols like mana etc?

The app is cool but it's WAY too template bound. I should be able to change text color damnit!

Audacious Epigone said...

Hallesy,

Are symbols for card sets (the insignia on the bottom left)? If so, I can't help you. Heh, sorry.

Dragan said...

cool. i think i might mess around and create me a mass effect deck.

Audacious Epigone said...

Dragan,

Leave a link here if you do. But I should warn you, using the card creator program is addictive!

Skullvic said...

greaaat, my friend
I catch some of this to put them on my blog, if you never mind.
^^
of course I'll linked to your blog