Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ctrl+c before you save

I've been aware of Blogger's atrocious timeout/relog cycle for several months now, but in a rush yesterday morning I managed to get snared by it anyway. If you enter the dashboard and create or edit posts, after some period of time (two hours?) any attempt to save or publish will send you to a login screen requesting that you re-enter your name and password. Then it will send you back to the dashboard without saving/publishing what you have written! Trying to back out won't help you either--the stuff is simply lost. So before other users attempt to do the same after a particularly long session, ctrl+n to replicate or ctrl+c after highlighting your html text before rolling the dice on whether or not Blogger will send your afflatus into the netherworld.

After spending a couple hours messing around with some numbers for a post I'd been working on, I'd to leave for work and hit 'save' before doing either of the two suggested above. My ramblings were unrecoverable and in a fit of rage I damaged the card table chair that serves as the throne to my home workstation. Screeching in anger also caused voice strain for a day. Don't become a victim of Google's beta-syndrome like I did--copy and replicate the page before going to save or publish.

(Personal use)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

--copy and replicate the page before going to save or publish.

As a user of web-based email, I learned that a long time ago -- man, there are few things more annoying than pressing 'Send' after editing a lengthy text and then having some screw-up jettison it out into cyberspace, never to be seen again. So now at the least I do Ctrl-A and Ctr-C before I hit 'Send'. Although if something happens and your browser crashes, you usually lose the save buffer too. I do something similar in other contexts, e.g. when making comments on blogs like yours. Hauptsache: do something to make sure your work is not lost. It only takes one time to learn that lesson.

And try not to lose your USB stick.

mping said...

crush,

That sucks. I haven't actually run into that problem, but I have run into others with Blogger. Some times the site runs slow or won't publish. The "search this blog" feature doesn't pick up all the posts on the blog (you would really think a search feature on a company owned by Google would work as expected). And they do a horrible job of giving status reports when they are updating/fixing things.

I realize it is free, so you feel like you shouldn't complain, but then again so are all of Google's other sites and they all work well.

If I had better photoshopping skills, I would change my "I Power Blogger" button into a "Blogger Sucks, but I use it anyway" button. Something tells me a lot of people would add it to their blogs.

Hopefully the new beta version is better.

crush41 said...

"man, there are few things more annoying than pressing 'Send' after editing a lengthy text and then having some screw-up jettison it out into cyberspace, never to be seen again."

I absolutely agree.

Mping,

That reminds me of a Simpsons episode where the Comic Book Guy whines about the new Itchy and Scratchy dynamic (adding a dog), calling it the worst episode and adding, "As a loyal TV fan, I feel that they owe me something much better than this."

Bart responds somewhere along the lines of "TV has given you countless hours of entertainment for free. What could they possible owe you? If anything, you owe them."

To which Comic Book Guy retorts: "Worst episode ever."

Since I'm not paying a dime for it, I guess I shouldn't complain :)