Sunday, November 20, 2005

Roe v Wade and other thoughts

When Justice Sam Alito's hearings begin in January, no doubt Roe v Wade will be in the spotlight with a zeal. It will be interesting to see if the Supreme Court revisists the case with Alito on board. The following is a few quick thoughts from an online discussion board:

I like the idea of America as a whole but I'm really tired of trying to get along with places like Kansas when it comes to issues like abortion, creationism, stem cell research etc.

Believe me, Kansas would be more than happy to part ways with you on abortion. Of course it can't, as it's bound by judicial fiat. Even though I am pro-choice, I'd like to see Roe v Wade revisited--it has always struck me as constitutionally weak. The majority admitted to agnosticism over when life begins yet arrogated to the Court a ruling based on a violation of several amendments together creating a so-called "right to privacy". In essence, they presumed that life did not begin at least until the end of the first trimester. We know, however, that the genome is present at conception and in nine weeks the major organs are formed. That's reason enough to kick it back to the states. I'm skeptical, though, that the Republican Party would want Roe v Wade overturned--it's too big a social conservative galvanizer.

As for embryonic stem cell research, does it matter what Kansas thinks? It's not outlawed. Just vote for state spending on it in New Hampshire like California did. I'd much rather see the federal government, if anything, create a Manhattan-Project to develop cost-effective alternative fuels. Stem cell research is not as subject to the whims of the market--energy innovation, on the other hand, is tougher for private industry to make a sure buck on. Honda and Ford can spend ten years working on the hydrogen internal combustion engine, but if a company like Syntroleum (recommendation to individual investors) perfects coal-to-oil in five, the hydrogen vehicles become an uncompetitive sunken cost.

Things that I think are a basic part of being an American-freedom of religion, the right to privacy, choice-and apparently they have a different definition of all this.

If the social positions of the midwest are too much for you, I fail to see why you would want a continuation of the very socially conservative Latin American influx. Unfettered multiculturalism begs you to tolerate everything--if you think Kansas is hostile to your beliefs, wait until Euro-descendants are a minority--your liberalism will truly be scoffed at.

And I feel my privacy is being violated when my government--whose ultimate priority is, theoretically, my protection--does not know who is coming into the country!

(Previous post)

No comments: